Skip to main content

Day 4


Half way.

A non-stop day starting off with a 5km run, the usual school day, rugby at lunch, rugby after school and Free to Run track training to finish off. 

First issue - the journey from Kings Park from rugby to Aberdeen for track training.  I had decided in advance that I'd waive myself the cost of this journey from my budget- every week the refugees are given an additional allowance from Free to Run to make sure they are able to get to and from track training, so this was the equivalent for me. 


I had a really insightful track session.  It began with meeting the photographer from the SCMP and Virginie, the organiser of Free to Run asked 5 of the refugees to help with the photoshoot, emphasising that their photos would only be taken from the back, none of their faces. Photographs of the refugees faces are always protected and not shared publicly.  I don't know half of their stories or the reasons as to why many of them are here - it's not something I feel is my place to ask about, but what I do know is that it has been something so traumatic that they do not want to be identified and live in fear of what might happen if they were located by those they have run from. 

Every week I feel as though I get to know one or two refugees a little better and gain a better understanding into their lives and how they live.   Today was a story of a mother who had not seen her daughter in 14 years.  What seems like such a simple solution to reunite them, immigration rules make it nearly impossible. There are so many sad stories amongst this group but to look at you would never guess - their positivity on the track disguises so much. 


I'd been looking forward to track training this week that extra little bit... the only opportunity of the week to eat something out of my $40 budget.  At the end of each session, everyone gathers in the stands and snack packs, normally made up of some fruit, a drink and a museli bar, that have been pre-packed by volunteers are distributed.  There is always an incredible amount of pineapple, always a winner and never lasts more than 5 minutes!! And quite often, some very thoughtful volunteers have prepared extra sandwiches.  Thankfully today was one of those days.  I was HUNGRY. 

When there is a birthday, there is always a cake.  With over 40 people at every session, there is nearly always a birthday.  I picked an especially good week to be hungry - this week there were 4 birthdays, which meant FOUR cakes. Anyone who knows me knows that if there is one sweet that I love most, it's cake. 



Sandwich, pineapple and cake in my belly, I am feeling a fair bit more satisfied than the last few nights. Having said that - Thursday's have quickly become my feel-good night of the week regardless - because every Thursday I'm reminded of just how good we have it, and how fortunate we are.   

Look out tomorrow for the SCMP online. Although I'm not sure how I feel about promoting this before seeing the photos of some of the poses that the photographer encouraged me to do. Cringe could be how I am feeling tomorrow.  All for a good cause !!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Weekends are always over too quickly.  One good thing about having next to no money? Time goes very slowly... your weekend feels longer!! Up at 6:15am I thought about how to fill my day.  After some life admin, the rain had stopped and the cabin fever was already building by 9am, I went for a run and my parents came over shortly after.  Budget bread for me,  mum's home made bread for everyone else. Much of the morning was spent reading and sharing the SCMP article that was published about what I have been doing this week (link here ).  As expected, there are a few comments from some sad readers who obviously have no better purpose in life than to pick apart the good people are trying to do and criticise.  It makes my blood boil that people can be so ignorant and cold hearted, but in comparison to the positivity I have received, it's nothing. My biggest issue is that these pessimistic readers have completely missed the point of what I am doing.  They have read the article

Day 2

My Journey... Before I harp on about my journey to and from work, today I was pretty excited to be contacted by South China Morning Post asking for an interview and photoshoot to be used in an article this week.  Watch this space!  My typical journey to and from work costs $25.  This week it costs just $8.30.  My journey to work taking the number 10 minibus directly to school  ($12.50) has been swapped to having breakfast on the 23 double decker to Pok Fu Lam road ($6.00) followed by a 15 minute walk. The total journey time is only 45 minutes in comparison to the original 35 minutes so I don't feel like its a bad swap considering I do enjoy a stroll (ask me again when its raining).  This morning's walk really got me thinking about how lucky I am.  Valuable thinking time which is often missed in place of being a phone zombie on the minibus. The journey home is somewhat more of a trek.  I say trek in born-in-HK-spoilt-by-transport-options terms - just look at th

Day 7

7 Days and $14,519 (for now) later... What a week it has been.   As I write this, I sit eating my last "refugee" meal of mixed vegetable fried rice.   Today just proved that you can never budget down to a tee - things happen - and it brought it back to earth of how hard these things might be if you don't have the money to get there - or to help.   Today a friend was in need after an accident.  As many have done before for me after an accident, I wanted to pamper her and look after her as best I could but didn't have the means to do so.  Today the most I could do was be there - and that was enough for her, but it did make me think about how much we often rely on money to go that extra mile to make someone that bit happier. One more tram ride.  Luckily I had a few extra $ on my Octopus and avoided the walk to and from Central.  I love walking, but I hate people traffic. And I will always love the tram. I received an article from my mum that has been