Skip to main content

Day 7




7 Days and $14,519 (for now) later...

What a week it has been.   As I write this, I sit eating my last "refugee" meal of mixed vegetable fried rice.  

Today just proved that you can never budget down to a tee - things happen - and it brought it back to earth of how hard these things might be if you don't have the money to get there - or to help.  

Today a friend was in need after an accident.  As many have done before for me after an accident, I wanted to pamper her and look after her as best I could but didn't have the means to do so.  Today the most I could do was be there - and that was enough for her, but it did make me think about how much we often rely on money to go that extra mile to make someone that bit happier.


One more tram ride.
 Luckily I had a few extra $ on my Octopus and avoided the walk to and from Central.
 I love walking, but I hate people traffic.
And I will always love the tram.

I received an article from my mum that has been in the SCMP post magazine today.  For anyone interested, have a read and go down to the exhibition in October.



As the week comes to an end, people keep asking me how my week has gone. 
Good? Hard? Interesting? Successful? I'm stuck for a response.

Overwhelming. 
That's the best I can do to describe it.

When I originally came up with the idea - I just wanted to do something to help Free to Run.  Something different. And once I have come up with an idea, I will usually try my best to find a way to do it. I hadn't actually thought about it in too much detail.  
I just wanted to help. 

Finally experiencing the week I had thought about for months prior has really got me thinking - about refugees - and all the arguments that come with it, about charity, about how the other half live, about how fortunate I am.  The list could go on.  I have learnt things about myself and I have learnt things about others.  It has been such a positive experience. 

But most of all I am overwhelmed.  I never expected so many to jump on board and support the cause so strongly.  I have had donations from friends, family, people that I don't even know.   I feel humbled to be part of such a community. 

I never expected to raise this much money or awareness. 
I never expected to get in the SCMP. 

So there is only one thing left to say...

THANK YOU!!!!!! SO, SO MUCH. 



Now who knows where to get a $6 ice cream?










Comments

  1. Well done,and ice cream here in Philippines is a lot cheaper, come and visit!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Weekends are always over too quickly.  One good thing about having next to no money? Time goes very slowly... your weekend feels longer!! Up at 6:15am I thought about how to fill my day.  After some life admin, the rain had stopped and the cabin fever was already building by 9am, I went for a run and my parents came over shortly after.  Budget bread for me,  mum's home made bread for everyone else. Much of the morning was spent reading and sharing the SCMP article that was published about what I have been doing this week (link here ).  As expected, there are a few comments from some sad readers who obviously have no better purpose in life than to pick apart the good people are trying to do and criticise.  It makes my blood boil that people can be so ignorant and cold hearted, but in comparison to the positivity I have received, it's nothing. My biggest issue is that these pessimistic readers have completely missed the point of what I am doing.  They have read the article

Day 2

My Journey... Before I harp on about my journey to and from work, today I was pretty excited to be contacted by South China Morning Post asking for an interview and photoshoot to be used in an article this week.  Watch this space!  My typical journey to and from work costs $25.  This week it costs just $8.30.  My journey to work taking the number 10 minibus directly to school  ($12.50) has been swapped to having breakfast on the 23 double decker to Pok Fu Lam road ($6.00) followed by a 15 minute walk. The total journey time is only 45 minutes in comparison to the original 35 minutes so I don't feel like its a bad swap considering I do enjoy a stroll (ask me again when its raining).  This morning's walk really got me thinking about how lucky I am.  Valuable thinking time which is often missed in place of being a phone zombie on the minibus. The journey home is somewhat more of a trek.  I say trek in born-in-HK-spoilt-by-transport-options terms - just look at th